Thank you to all of you who voted in the delegate elections in March 2016 – and a special thanks to those who voted for our Teamsters for Democracy slate. We lost but we have only begun to organize.
We’ve had enough of weak contracts,
even weaker representation, pension cuts,
and blank checks for do-nothing politicians.
Teamsters for Democracy is organizing rank-and-file members of Teamsters Local 317 to run a reform slate for local union officers and to support the Teamsters United reform slate for international officers led by Fred Zuckerman to replace the Jimmy Hoffa Jr. regime.
Both elections will be held in October 2016.
We are seeking supporters and local slate candidates to reform Teamsters Local 317.
See our Draft Program for Reform below.
What do you think?
What changes would you like to see?
Send us a message:
Teamsters for Democracy, P.O. Box 562, Syracuse NY 13205
PLATFORM FOR REFORM OF TEAMSTERS LOCAL 317
Draft for Discussion
BETTER UNION REPRESENTATION
- Workers’ Wages for Officers: Cut officer salaries by at least one-third.
- Paid Organizers: Use the over $200,000 savings in officer salaries to hire paid organizers to unionize new employers.
- Elected Stewards: Stewards elected by the members they represent, not appointed by the officers.
- Round-the-Clock Representation: Business Agents that back us up on grievances and visit our worksites regularly, including neglected night shifts.
MOBILIZE TO WIN GOOD CONTRACTS
- Elected contract negotiating committees.
- Members kept informed during contract negotiations.
- All contract changes voted on by the members.
KEEP MEMBERS INFORMED
- Member Orientations: An orientation for every member so they know what is in their contract and benefit package and what their rights are in the workplace and in the union.
- Better Union Meetings: Distribute copies of minutes and financial reports. Encourage member discussion. Educational and social programs after the formal business.
- Better Member Communications: Use newsletters, email and text alerts, website, Facebook, and stewards to keep the members fully informed.
- 317 Teamsters University: Year-round education for stewards and members on contract enforcement, grievance handling, labor history, public policy issues, and more.
FIGHT PENSION CUTS
- 35,000 Teamsters in the NYS Teamsters Conference Pension Fund face pension cuts.
- Keep Our Pension Promises Act: The short-term answer is an all-out campaign to get Congress to pass the Keep Our Pension Promises Act to put money into our pension fund so it can pay promised pensions.
- Organize New Members into the NYS Teamsters Conference Pension Fund: The long-term answer is to get more Teamsters into the fund to increase the ratio of working to retired Teamsters in the fund.
PUT THE MOVEMENT BACK IN THE LABOR MOVEMENT
- Political Education: Organize regular political education programs for the members: speakers, films, debates, discussions.
- Political Action Committee: Open up the Political Action Committee to member participation and decisions about allocation of campaign funds, representation on labor councils, and labor solidarity activities.
- Community Stewards: Train community stewards to organize members of Teamsters Local 317 by cities, towns, and counties for political and labor solidarity activities.
- Political Contributions: Let the members decide on political campaign contributions by Teamsters Local 317 PAC. No more checks for politicians unless the members say so.
- Solidarity Committee: Organize members who want to be active to support union organizing drives, strikes, picket lines, demonstrations, and other labor action.